Tuesday, August 19, 2008

You Don’t Love It and It Doesn’t Love You, Release It

Moving from a home I had lived in for over twenty years helped me de-junk. Still, I had too much clutter. I was fortunate to get help from a relative and another friend who were naturals at organization; they actually enjoy doing it! I started the daunting task in the storage shed then moved to organizing the house. My master-organizer friend helped me sort items in three categories:
Trash
Keep
Give away

Sorting through my treasures and deciding what items to keep and what items had to go was painful. Fighting the thought “I might need that someday” that was stuck my brain, I waded through “stuff.” My cousin said, “If you don’t love it and it doesn’t love you, its time to release it.” This phrase helped me donate some of my neglected treasures to charity. Out went the comb-binding machine and boxes of binding combs, away to an acquaintance went my oak drafting table, chair and drafting arm, and to EBAY went my drafting templates and supplies. I was surprised and pleased how many others needed the things I had held onto, and I have not missed the clutter. It's amazing how much easier it is to organize when there is less to organize. Now my motto is: If something comes in, another item must leave and this usually works.
I have found the ancient proverb “cleanliness is next to Godliness” has merit. I believe that a tidy home allows positive energy to flow more freely and is not so frustrating to look at. If anyone needs help or ideas for reducing clutter, my daughter clued me to the website http://www.flylady.net/ a great site for packrats or some of us that just need a little help.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

It's really hard to let go of things sometimes...especially when you've had them for a while. It was one of the hardest parts of cleaning out our house even though we hadn't collected most of it... Some stuff you would just look at it and wonder what the heck it was. And a lot of things you knew but could never imagine why someone would ever need it...we've thrown out over 12,000 sq ft of trash and have more left but at least now we're at a place where we can shuffle things around to use them and find them...finding them is the problem. We have too much space almost and things are spread all over! Too many projects, too little time :)